A dozen F-22’s deployed to Middle East

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
Banned

by charlielima223 » 20 Feb 2022, 15:58

F-22s are back in the sand box again...

https://www.acc.af.mil/News/Article/293 ... to-region/

A waste of personnel and resources IMHO. The UAE can handle themselves against Iranian funded insurgents. They would be better off in Europe with all the stuff going on with Russia. Send them there with F-35s already in Germany.

https://www.afrc.af.mil/News/Article-Di ... o-germany/

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by milosh » 20 Feb 2022, 22:25

Maybe this could be reason:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/pauliddon/ ... 594531204d

Russians have those Egypt's Flankers ready for sale.

If Iran get them with R-37 it would be problematic for any non stealth fighter.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 21 Feb 2022, 00:48

charlielima223 wrote:F-22s are back in the sand box again...

https://www.acc.af.mil/News/Article/293 ... to-region/

A waste of personnel and resources IMHO. The UAE can handle themselves against Iranian funded insurgents. They would be better off in Europe with all the stuff going on with Russia. Send them there with F-35s already in Germany.

https://www.afrc.af.mil/News/Article-Di ... o-germany/

If you look to the north on the map you will see Romania, the Black Sea, Russia, and Georgia. So, it looks like the F-22's are ideally placed to cover both the Middle East and the Northern Black Sea, Crimea, and Ukraine.

detailed-political-map-of-the-middle-east-with-major-cities-and-capitals-1999.jpg

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 21 Feb 2022, 18:21

milosh wrote:Maybe this could be reason:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/pauliddon/ ... 594531204d

Russians have those Egypt's Flankers ready for sale.

If Iran get them with R-37 it would be problematic for any non stealth fighter.

The latest info has the Egyptian order cancelled, or at least delayed indefinitely. Apparently, they flew a Rafale vs. an SU-35 head to head and.... the SU-35's vaunted Irbis-E was no match for Rafale's radar/sensors. Jammed the hell out of it, from what I've read. They want an AESA in that bird (SU-35), but 1.) It would be a long time and 2.) It would add even more expense to an already costly aircraft/CPFH.

I agree the R-37 is potentially problematic, but it's also a long way from certain. The odds it'll hit a fighter sized target at the claimed ranges? Unlikely, IMO. The fact it can still be used to put enemy fighters on the defensive with very little time to defeat it? Likely IMO. But in order to shoot you have to have a firing solution, and if the reports are correct an AESA equipped fighter could easily negate that. Even a 4th gen w/AESA, nevermind Israel's F-35's...

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by milosh » 21 Feb 2022, 20:52

mixelflick wrote:The latest info has the Egyptian order cancelled, or at least delayed indefinitely. Apparently, they flew a Rafale vs. an SU-35 head to head and.... the SU-35's vaunted Irbis-E was no match for Rafale's radar/sensors. Jammed the hell out of it, from what I've read. They want an AESA in that bird (SU-35), but 1.) It would be a long time and 2.) It would add even more expense to an already costly aircraft/CPFH.

It is quite fishy rumor.

For example here is Cooper article about that:
https://theaviationgeekclub.com/heres-w ... m-instead/

He wrote this:

Word is the Egyptians tested an Irbis-E radar (from the Su-35) against Rafale’s ECM-system, and the latter easily overpowered the former.

Okey, but then he wrote this:

The Egyptian Air Force had to become the first customer for the Su-35 in the Middle East area, following the signing of a contract in 2018 (not confirmed until May 2020), comprising the delivery of 24/26 aircraft for approximately USD 3 billion. In fact, as the photo below shows, at least 11 aircraft were already manufactured and ready for delivery, but Egypt never received them.

So how Egypt AF tested Su-35 against Rafale in first place? Fly Rafale to Komsomolsk-on-Amur?!?

Do Egypt have Su-35? I couldn't find any photo of them in Egypt, all I find are those in Russia.

And here is excellent French article about Egypt's Su-35:
https://air-cosmos.com/article/mais-o-s ... sint-25752

Use net translator, it explain well what is questionable in that rumor.

Banned

by charlielima223 » 22 Feb 2022, 03:45

Corsair1963 wrote:

If you look to the north on the map you will see Romania, the Black Sea, Russia, and Georgia. So, it looks like the F-22's are ideally placed to cover both the Middle East and the Northern Black Sea, Crimea, and Ukraine

That is still seems like a pretty far skip hop and a jump for them as compared to being deployed to Germany or Italy...

To me it is the wrong place to do a show of force. The need for F-22 in the middle east right now is minimal at best.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 22 Feb 2022, 03:57

charlielima223 wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:

If you look to the north on the map you will see Romania, the Black Sea, Russia, and Georgia. So, it looks like the F-22's are ideally placed to cover both the Middle East and the Northern Black Sea, Crimea, and Ukraine

That is still seems like a pretty far skip hop and a jump for them as compared to being deployed to Germany or Italy...

To me it is the wrong place to do a show of force. The need for F-22 in the middle east right now is minimal at best.

The point is the F-22's would be in a position to cover both.......

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by madrat » 22 Feb 2022, 13:23

If Russia goes into Ukraine then Iran makes any kind of simultaneous move, it certainly opens the door to China going for Taiwan. The US is poised for China at the moment. I cannot help but think we have to be prepared in Korea atm, too. If one dam breaks, they will all break simultaneously.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 23 Feb 2022, 01:01

madrat wrote:If Russia goes into Ukraine then Iran makes any kind of simultaneous move, it certainly opens the door to China going for Taiwan. The US is poised for China at the moment. I cannot help but think we have to be prepared in Korea atm, too. If one dam breaks, they will all break simultaneously.

I very much doubt that they would "all" break at once. Yet, another conflict in the Middle East or Asia could start a Globe War.

That said, in an all-out conflict the odds still don't favor China, Iran, or Russia.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by madrat » 23 Feb 2022, 14:04

China has made move after move over the past 70 years, yet they still sit at the table. They've learned to make moves then flip the narrative, rest, then do it again when things cool off. It has never failed for them. They learned to ease into invasions rather than bludgeon their way in. But that was their old leadership. This new leadership is itching for being respected as a superpower on the global scene. But as eager as they are, they are much more complex in their strategies. Do not underestimate how they will take on Taiwan 're-integration' with the mainland.

Look how easily they've subdued Canada. Canada is beginning to even resemble them. The US has allowed Chinese regulars to train there without as much as a snide remark. This kind of stuff was preposterous several decades ago, yet it is reality today. Welcome to the Mao global cultural revolution. No number of F-22A will stop that with our current leadership getting cozy with them.

Banned

by charlielima223 » 15 Mar 2022, 17:57

Some interesting pictures of the Raptor's recent deployment to the ME.

https://theaviationist.com/2022/03/14/f ... eployment/

Having been deployed there in my younger years I can say from experience that sand is like no other. During sand/dust storms that stuff gets into places. [Jokingly] Maybe this is a new form of camouflage using material from the natural environment to blend rather than depending on paint schemes and man made patterns.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by basher54321 » 15 Jun 2023, 23:28

June 15 2023

As Russian planes continue to provoke U.S. fighter jets over Syria, the Air Force is sending F-22s to respond to aggression in the region.

Russia continues to “pressure our presence,” despite the U.S.’s de-escalatory posture, Lt. Gen. Alexus Grynkewich, who leads Air Forces Central Command, said Wednesday during the annual Defense One Tech Summit.

In April, the general told Defense One that Russian warplanes had tried to bait U.S. jets into “dogfighting” over Syria.

And just last week, Russia tried again to bait U.S. pilots, Grynkewich said.

But Russia can’t push the U.S. out of the airspace in the Middle East, Grynkewich said. He likened the country’s behavior to a gnat flying over your head: “It’s very frustrating and annoying sometimes, but in the end, it doesn't really matter.”

The Air Force announced Wednesday it’s sending F-22s to the Middle East to track Russian aggression and improve “security and stability” in the region, according to the service.

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2023 ... ys/387528/

Banned

by charlielima223 » 17 Jun 2023, 17:13

This guy again! :lol: :lmao:

I will laugh even harder when an F-22 pulls up behind a Mig or Flanker and tells them they should go home now. I imagine it would look something like this...

Banned

by jessmo112 » 18 Jun 2023, 21:12

To be honest. I'm not sure I see how Raptors will change things.

1. Are the Raptors going to radar spike or dogfight with an offending flanker.

2. Will they be intimidated by the Raptor?

3. Are they going to stay in stealth mode and harass the enemy?

The Russians are using Grey area tactics. I don't see how this helps, if a flanker collides with a Raptor it could make them worse.

by retchief70 » 18 Jun 2023, 22:44

It's possible this "rapid" deployment of F-22s would have happened regardless of Russian actions. Short notice deployments are not unheard of. They're good practice for us, and they send a message to our adversaries that we have the capability to project combat airpower on short notice.

PreviousNext